Today, I’ve been working on some layouts and doing my quick custom shadows ‘thing’ and got to wondering . . . do you suppose anyone else would like to know a quick way to get them done? So, just in case you are interested . . . here’s myway . . . no explanations, no sidebar, just the steps!
- Click on the layer that is needing a custom shadow!
- Press V
- CTRL + J
- CTRL + [
- CTRL + U
- TAB 3 times, type -100
- Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur . . . type 5 (adjust as needed)
- CTRL + T (Free Transform . . . we are going to warp the shadow now)
If PSCS … activate WARP (icon on top menu bar)
- Now, let’s bend, stretch, warp our shadow as desired (grab the control boxes to do this).
NOTE: If you are using Photoshop Elements … press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and then click and pull the corners to warp as desired.
If you need some tips on this, check out THIS tutorial (PSE users)
- Type a number between 3 and 7 until you get a shadow with appropriate ‘look’
That’s it! I have it so memorized that I no longer really think about it … my fingers just have the ‘Rocking Motion’ d-o-w-n … bodda-bing-bodda-boom.
IF you wait and do all your custom shadows at the end of your design process it’s even quicker because your Filter can just be reapplied by typing CTRL+F (making step 8&9 ONE VERY QUICK STEP!)
So . . . go forth and create! Have fun! Tell your story!